How-to Wear Orange This Spring

16 Mar

Orange: It’s hotter than a Jack-o-lantern in October but it’s trending this spring! Have some reservations on how to wear this citrus color? Fear not!

Robin Wallace, creative director of Thrifty Vintage Chic, at Vigoss Jeans' headquarteres in New York.

{How-to Wear Orange This Spring} As luck should have it, I have just the right number of orange in my wardrobe to be fashion-forward this spring. However, further complicating the chances of this serendipitous style, I recently ended up in the NY headquarters of Vigoss Jeans.

I was wearing none other than my orange look and was photographed by the ever Dandy Wellington in one of their posh office suites featuring orange!

It is surprising to me how these things happen and it forces me to recognize that I am quite a lucky dame when it comes to fashion and style …

Least of all bargains, such as how it is that I just acquired a brand new pair of orange heels from a recent Salvation Army trip. But without further ado, here are the details:

Photo by Jared Carlisle

What’s the Cost of ‘How-to Wear Orange This Spring’? $28.83

$0 Antique Button Cuffs (Gift from personal friends @Dorothy June Jewelry)
$.25 Wool Houndstooth Belt (Goodwill Clearance Center, Lancaster, Pa.)
$1.50 Orange 1960s Headpiece (Salvation Army, Englewood, NJ)
$3 Orange Scoop Neck Shirt (Clothing Vendor, Union City, NJ)
$5 Cotton Eyelet Peasant-Style Blouse (Clearance, Arts Echo, NY, NY)
$5.99 Orange Heels (Salvation Army, Englewood, NJ)
$12.99 Brown Pin-Stripe Slacks (Clearance, Gap, Atlantic City, NJ)

{So} What’s the Take-Away?

Contrary to popular belief redheads can wear orange, but us gingers are not the only folks usually wary of such a bold and daring color.

The line of either having the confidence to pull it off, or the fashion sense, is a rather thin one. So here’s my take on making the most of this very fun color in the coming weeks:

• Don’t Go Halloween. Wear orange with anything but black, otherwise you will run the risk of being approached by young children looking for either tricks or treats.
  • Be bold. Other bright colors are also in this season, including yellow, hot pink and tropical blue, and all of these make great pairing partners for orange.
  • Mellow Out. If orange is the very edge of your fashion boldness, then pair it with the other hot color of  Spring 2011: lavender, or neutral earth tones of beige, cream and brown.
  • Accessorize Up. A quick and fun way to be stylish while maintaining your style-comfort zone is to embrace orange in all of your accessories: belts, shoes, purses, scarves, necklaces and bangles.I would say hats, but even for me an orange hat is pushing the envelope of a bold style statement. But another option could be an orange hair detail such as a ribbon or flower.

Regardless of how you end up choosing to wear this very hip hue, the important thing to remember is to embrace the energy and vibrant spirit this color represents. With this in mind, I have not doubt that you will pull off “orange” as a very successful style statement of your own!

Have you ‘Liked’ the Thrifty Vintage Chic Facebook fan page?

Stop by & post photos of your Spring 2011 Orange Look!

All images on Thrifty Vintage Chic are shot in the context of real life. All images on Thrifty Vintage Chic are free from post-production “airbrushing” or touch-ups. All images and written copy on Thrifty Vintage Chic are copyright protected and may not be used without first gaining written permission.

9 Responses to “How-to Wear Orange This Spring”

1. Sandra A March 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM #

I can’t wait to wear my Nanette Lepore blouse I thrifted this past Winter. It’s a pretty tangerine color….a deeper orange. And today I thrifted a pretty blouse(Maeve brand from Anthropologie) in a mango color. Love your outfit. I love how you layered the orange under the cream eyelet blouse.

2. kris March 17, 2011 at 12:17 AM #

Love the Orange and I’m guessing . . . West Elm . . . furniture as well. Those chairs are amazing and I’ve always been tempted to purchase them, but have failed to do so for some reason. Furniture has been my passion for years, and now it’s fashion. Love how the two worlds collide!

3. Laurie Watson March 17, 2011 at 7:13 AM #

Oh Robin, what a post to see on St. Pat’s Day! Did you know this is the color for the ENGLISH? Haha! as a Watson I am very pleased to see you wearing orange today, but the rest of your readers would probably much rather see you wearing GREEN!

4. Dawn March 17, 2011 at 8:50 AM #

Robin, you look AMAZING in orange! What a stylish outfit…very Faye Dunaway-ish via “Bonnie and Clyde”. Just super. Thanks for the heads-up on the color. Now I’ll know what to look for when I hit the thrifts 🙂

5. Antje March 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM #

My mother has the same hair shade you have, so she is an orange pro wearer (her favourite colour. I have never really dared, my hair colour is a little more clashing with that particular orange….looks amazing on you though!

6. The Honeyroom March 20, 2011 at 3:45 PM #

You look great!! I have have always been nervous of incorporating more color into my wardrobe, but you pull it off perfectly. And I must agree there is nothing like a pop of color to really brighten up any outfit!

7. http://www.canaryislandtenerife.net May 23, 2013 at 3:40 AM #

I blog frequently and I truly appreciate your information.
    This article has really peaked my interest. I will take a note
    of your site and keep checking for new details
    about once a week. I opted in for your RSS feed too.

8. Furdok June 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM #

Hello all, here every person is sharing these kinds of knowledge, thus
    it’s pleasant to read this web site, and I used to pay a quick visit this blog daily.

9. cheap all inclusive holidays August 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM #

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how
    could we communicate?