Take Your Best Shot: Guesstimate & Win!

29 Nov

IMGP3055Yes, my dear Chicsters, your avid following of my thrifty ways could pay-off big for you! If you can guess how much this outfit cost — head-to-toe — then you will be the very first Thrifty Vintage Chic contest winner!!

Photos by Christopher Doherty

As a way to celebrate so many things — love, family, vitality, TVC’s one-year blogging anniversary — I am launching the first of a monthly contest series: Guesstimate & Win!

It works like this: Comment below with what you like best about Thrifty Vintage Chic, what you want to see more of, and your Guesstimate of how much this Thrifty Vintage Chic outfit cost. Then, the person with the closest guess (in whole dollars), and comment with the aforementioned details, will win a $40 gift certificate to Arts Echo and a hand-made sterling silver ring.

The contest closes on December 20th, midnight. The winner will be e-mailed by December 22nd. Also, if you are not local, have no fear, the amazing Sandra and Zoe will make sure you get the vintage item of your dreams through old fashioned virtual communication! {How’s that for holiday cheer?!}

Take a close look at the details … and if your savvy, you’ll know the cost of one of these elements I’ve already blogged about:

IMGP3068IMGP3067

What’s the Take-Away?

Know your limits & push the envelope!

Oh, mini-skirt, mini-skirt … Are you over-rated? out-dated? too young? too old? too short? While industry trendsetters from Milan, London and New York all agree that the mini will never go out of style, women everywhere will constantly wage this inner debate regarding the mini-skirt: dare I, or dare I not?
IMGP3058
The mini-skirt is one garment where you must know your limits — it’s a style that clearly shows off your glamorous gams, but if this is not something you are comfortable with, or if it is not your best asset, then fear not!

You can still grab that edgy look by pairing the mini with leggings, opaque tights and/or boots.

All of the aforementioned help create slimmer and leaner legs, as well as providing a measure of personal peace of mind and modesty.

And, thanks to my favorite local vintage boutique, Arts Echo, I was able to find the perfect little mini for a very fun, flirty and girlie look! But this is not the first time that I have picked up to-die-for, absolutely must-have fashion at Arts Echo.

Need I say any more as to why I heart Arts Echo? Now, just stop by: 455 West 43rd St. NYC, or CLICK to VISIT THE STORE ONLINE!

In fact, here are four other Arts Echo details which now proudly call my armoire home:

Wearing My High School Levi’s Cut-Off Jean Shorts

A Happy Black & Brown Marriage

Interviewing James Cameron

Going Abroad — English Style

Rate this post above & leave your own two cents below!

• All images on Thrifty Vintage Chic are shot in the context of real life — ie before or after the work day. All images on Thrifty Vintage Chic are not altered with post-production “airbrushing” or touch-ups. All images and written copy on Thrifty Vintage Chic are copyright protected and may not be used without first gaining written permission.
  • VAL is the WINNER!! She guessed $39 and that was the total cost of this thrift little number. Thanks to all who guessed and made some awesome suggestions about the site! Can’t wait for more Thrifty Vintage Chic fun in the New Year!!

37 Responses to “Take Your Best Shot: Guesstimate & Win!”

1. Jay "Sepp" November 29, 2010 at 8:28 AM #

Ok, what I like: I like the idea of someone doing something that they are passionate about and sharing their passion with others.

What I’d like to see more of….1930’s/1940’s styles. It’s a classic look with both elegance and class.

My Guesstimate: ok, seeing as how I know nothing of the subject….$46, top to bottom 🙂

2. John Marchini November 29, 2010 at 9:49 AM #

Hey Robin,

Since I find myself all too often pricing out the cost of my attire as I stroll along the streets of NYC, I have to take a stab at this. I’ll say $72 head-to-toe apart from your ring.

Cheers,
    John

3. zack November 29, 2010 at 11:36 AM #

I say $30

• zack November 29, 2010 at 1:04 PM #

Ok what I like to see some male outfits showcased and priced out, but its ok if youre wearing them..:)

4. cat December 4, 2010 at 1:16 AM #

I’d say $24 total, tops.

I would like to see more women’s suits from the 1940’s-60’s.

Two of my favorite ensembles were the red tweed skirt suit for Hilary Swank and the Mad Men style animal prints.

5. Jen December 9, 2010 at 9:09 PM #

I would guess $27

• Thrifty Vintage Chic December 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM #

Thanks, Jen, for stopping by with your guess! Anything you like about the site that you’d like to see more (or less) of? ~Robin

6. Amy December 9, 2010 at 10:16 PM #

I’m shooting for $38.00…shoes included….ugh, yeah, final answer!

• Thrifty Vintage Chic December 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM #

your final answer, eh? Well, it’s a solid guess and I appreciate you taking the hot seat for this, Amy! But I’d love to also know what you think about Thrifty Vintage Chic … what would make it more relevant or exciting to you? ~Robin

7. Amber December 9, 2010 at 11:20 PM #

I guess $20

8. jen December 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM #

My guess is $57! I love that skirt!

9. JJ December 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM #

I’m saying $30ish…absolutely digging the vest.

10. Bridgette December 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM #

$44 all inclusive. 🙂 Adore the skirt – its so pretty and fresh!

11. mercedes December 10, 2010 at 10:44 AM #

I’d say 32.00 from head to toe!

12. Val December 10, 2010 at 11:39 AM #

My guess is $39. I love the style ideas – I’m terrible at putting things together. I’d love to see fashions that would suit multiple body types- I can’t always tell what will look good on my size 10-12 until I buy (and often regret).

• Thrifty Vintage Chic December 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM #

Great suggestion, Val!! Thanks for the input and so glad to have had you stop by!
      ~Robin

13. LadyLuck December 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM #

Did anyone say $35? That’s my guess!

14. missmeinMN December 10, 2010 at 3:05 PM #

$64…I would love to see more thrifty jewelery posts..like wear to buy on the web! 🙂

• Thrifty Vintage Chic December 10, 2010 at 3:38 PM #

oo, buying thrifty jewelry on the web … now, that is indeed a valuable tidbit! I will see what I can come up with!

15. Susan December 10, 2010 at 4:34 PM #

I will guess $53. The vest is very chic.

16. amy December 10, 2010 at 10:59 PM #

29 buckaroos!

17. Jennifer Cloukey December 10, 2010 at 11:09 PM #

Well, now I feel HORRIBLE because I was going to guess $6.50! This is the first blog entry of yours I have read, so maybe I need to get reading and come back to tell you what I would like to see more of?
    I just went to my favorite consignment shop today and got a great new skirt ($6.50), brand new flats ($4.50), and didn’t let myself buy the beautiful pair of Nine West boots I found (perfect fit, brand new condition, $16.00). Yes, I think I will call her in the morning and have her hold them for me…
    What I’d like to see more of on a site like this is HOW to put an outfit together…the mechanics of it…like pulling out a certain color in order to accessorize as you go.
    Also, as a new single mama (of 4), I am (for the first time) really just dressing for ME…so that is something I’m interested in: being true to my own style (and still in the process of figuring all of that out).
    Fun site!
    I will change my guess to…$26.00 (which is just my dream price, of course, cause I’m super-thrifty).

• Thrifty Vintage Chic December 15, 2010 at 12:05 AM #

Jennifer, thank you for sharing how awesomely thrifty you are! And, I totally know how thrifting sometimes isn’t an option “just for fun” but out of necessity. I would love to do the mechanics of an outfit … I might do it as a video and simply shoot it live as I literally put an outfit together in the morning, as I am going out the door! talk about being authentic!! AND, your own style … how so very important! I have an upcoming post talking about this very thing … so stayed tuned!!

• Jennifer Cloukey December 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM #

Sounds great!
        I’ll be graduating from nursing school in May 2011…and be adding the element of fun to the whole thing. 😉
        Thanks!!!

18. Arkeeology December 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM #

My guess is $20!

19. Dawn O'The Atoms December 12, 2010 at 9:14 AM #

Robin, I like what you do. Your stories and sharing of knowledge are what make your site. Please continue to educate us with the history of the clothing pieces and your unique perspective of how to wear them. As for me, I guess 36.99

• capcitylady December 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM #

I am going to say…$12.87, just because I also like to thrift, and I don’t think you would post it if it wasn’t the most amazing steal ever.

• Thrifty Vintage Chic December 15, 2010 at 12:08 AM #

Dawn, what a contribution! I’m so glad to know what it is that specifically keeps you coming back for more Thrifty Vintage Chic, and absolutely pleased to know I’m making a difference in your life in the realm of expressing fashion!

20. Karrie December 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM #

I’ll say $28, although it looks like a million bucks 😉

21. Brittany December 13, 2010 at 12:16 AM #

$37 (?)

22. Ann December 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM #

What I like best about your site is that it inspires confidence to get funky, try new styles, and have fun with my wardrobe. I guess I’d like to see more of how to take a central piece and all the different pairings you could do with it. And for my guess – I’ll say $30. Although I would honestly drop over $100 on that skirt if I saw it at Anthropologie. Nice find. You are rocking that.

23. Naturally Single Mom December 18, 2010 at 6:45 AM #

I have a fantastic thrift store in my area, so, based on their usual prices, and the good deals I can find there, I’m going to go with $16.

24. Kim Davenport December 18, 2010 at 9:44 PM #

$41 out the door. 🙂

• Katie December 21, 2010 at 3:02 AM #

How about vintage shopping for us larger gals? Hard to find adorable things when you’re bigger than a size 6/8!
      And my guess, head-to-toe, is $46.

25. Christine December 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM #

I’m guessing around $58.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Thrifty Single Mom Fun « Uncategorized « LOVE OR LIES - January 1, 2011

[…] tree since becoming a single mom. She’s ultra fashionable. And, last but not least, she has a cute little contest going on. Get your sweet butts over there and win something. Right now your odds are 1 in 5. And […]

2. NYFW Fall 2011 Street Style: How-to Do Summer in Winter « Thrifty Vintage Chic - February 17, 2011

[…] skirt and suede vest from a couple months ago when it was part of the first Thrifty Vintage Chic “guesstimate” contest. Well, in that combination, the skirt was clearly part of a summer outfit, and technically, because […]

Comments are closed.