Cinderella Dressed in Yellow …

26 Aug

… Went upstairs to kiss her fellow, by mistake she kissed a snake, how many doctors will it take? Or, at least that is how the children’s jump-rope song goes, while this outfit was inspired by the spirit of the classic folk tale.

Photos by Christopher Doherty

Although the story of Cinderella has been in circulation as far back as the ancient Greeks with the tale of “Rhodopis”, the era which sparked the look of this outfit spanned the late Victorian-age and turn-of-the-century silhouettes.

The skirts were falling closer to the body but still had a very elegant flow and drape, meanwhile, the emergence of the sharper tailored jacket arrived — some say it signaled the early signs of female emancipation as the look gave women the posture of more confidence and strength.

As for me, I fell in love with this skirt at the Steeple to People Thrift store (Click to watch the Vlog here) because it did remind me of the soft feminine gowns of more than a century ago, and yet, I knew modern fashion relevance could be found in those lines.

Still, it was those ideals of more 100-plus years ago which fostered my emotional creativity as I pulled this outfit together: I felt — wearing this outfit — soft, graceful with a demure air of striking boldness and strength. And throughout the day, I was transported in time as the skirt gently swooshed through each of my New Yorker’s paced stride with an elegance of Cinderella waltzing with her Prince Charming.

A vintage headpiece re-made ... as in the only vintage part left on it is the wiring frame. The tulle and flowers seem to be fairly modern.

Because I don't have a pair of elegant Peter Pan wedge boots, I did the next best thing: a bold ankle sock with equally strong buckle strap heels.

A hand-made necklace made from recycled rubber, a gift for my 30th birthday. (and you can see how untouched these photos are, as evidence of how hot of a day it was, even at 6:30 on a muggy August evening.)

How Much for ‘Cinderella Dressed in Yellow’?
$19.50

$0 Recycled Rubber Necklace (30th Birthday Gift, MySistersArt.com)
$0 Mossimo, Tailored Black Jacket (Hand-me-Down)
$.50 Black Faux Alligator Belt (Goodwill Clearance Center, Lancaster, Pa.)
$1 Large Fishnet Ankle Socks (Bergerline, NJ, variety shop)
$3 Liz Clairborne, circa 1980s, White & Black Print Skirt (Steeple to People, Honey Brook, Pa.)
$5 Yellow Capped Sleeve Blouse (Bergerline, NJ, clothier)
$10 Black Buckle Heels (Easy Pickens, Union City, NJ)

(So) What’s the Take-Away?

Be a whimsical princess!

It might sound cliche, but embrace your inner princess. A fellow, who I once went upstairs to kiss, once told me that whenever we went out on dates, he would get the best service — ever. Certainly, he didn’t seem to think it was luck, but that it was because of me and who I was being.

With that said, consider that how people perceive you in how you carry yourself, dress yourself and treat yourself, is how others will return in action. So, in the example mentioned above, on these dates, I carried myself as a lady and I dressed with a distinguished style. Perhaps then, the great customer service was a result of the hosts and wait staff wanting to put their best foot forward for someone who was “worth the effort” and going to truly appreciate it.

Aside from personal style being a possible way to get better service, how you dress can shape your entire outlook for the day and give you that extra bounce in your step, exactly when you might need it most! So be a princess, find your ball gown outfit and waltz through your day!
Be well, my Thrifty, Vintage, Chicsters!

Rate this blog post above and be sure to leave your own two cents below!

• All images on Thrifty.Vintage.Chic. are shot in the context of real life — ie before or after the work day. All images on Thrifty.Vintage.Chic. are not altered with post-production “airbrushing” or touch-ups. All images and written copy on Thrifty.Vintage.Chic. are copyright protected and may not be used without first gaining written permission.

11 Responses to “Cinderella Dressed in Yellow …”

1. jen August 27, 2010 at 11:13 AM #

Wow – I want a post about how you do your hair!

• robinesque September 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM #

hmmm, your is the second request about my hair … so I believe a Vlog is in order!!

2. Erin August 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM #

I like the hairpiece, but it would look better without the wire mesh. The complete outfit with the jacket is fabulous, and the socks with the heels are something I may try.

• robinesque September 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM #

yes, the yellow tulle veil was problematic throughout the day as the wind would catch it, sweep it up and away into a full billowing sail above and behind my head! And I have in the past with veils used bobby pins to secure them in place so the wind-blown effect wouldn’t happen, but because this was tulle and not a netted veil, I could do no such trick! And, Erin, when you do try the socks and heels look be sure to upload a photo to the Facebook page. I’d love to see it!

3. wulan August 28, 2010 at 3:50 AM #

wow i really love yellow..
    and the headpiece is so cute..

i like the 1st photo 🙂

• robinesque September 2, 2010 at 11:17 AM #

Wulan, thank you for dropping by .. So glad you love the outfit’s color and crowning detail! Yellow is always such a cheery color …

4. Alicia Booker October 18, 2010 at 9:39 PM #

oh wow!!! Now this is my favorite outfit on you so far! I love those little socks with the shoes, the yellow shirt and jacket, the yellow hair net!! This is amazing and should be featured in a magazine!! way to go Robin!! AMAZING!!!!

• Thrifty Vintage Chic October 20, 2010 at 10:00 PM #

Alicia, thank you!! It was a really fun outfit to wear … and now one of my favs, too!

5. Serenity October 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM #

Hi Robin! I am always so delighted by your references to being a lady, even when also being assertive; I am especially tickled by the “princess” reference! I, too, am often quite princessy. quite!

• Thrifty Vintage Chic October 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM #

every girl and woman should know how to be a princess, but one with grace and class!!

6. lyna September 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM #

I loved all the concepts but how do I register to learn or like a school?