A Bump in the Road

6 Feb

Finally, getting back into the swing of things with Bernard Delgado at Flute, an original speakeasy, in Manhattan's Upper West Side.

Having been a track athlete, I am used to being able to hurdle over the challenges life throws my way. But this time, I faced a hurdle that despite my will power, the greater powers at hand set my course in a very unexpected direction.

For the month of November, I was hospitalized after two subdural acute hematomas were discovered in my brain.

Before leaving for the evening -- my first night out in 3 months. I not only had the energy to get dressed, but to do my hair true to the 1940s fashion!

The month of December I spent heavily drugged and at home in full recovery. Then for the new year, January brought more recovery at home as I came off all meds and dealt with the continued healing process while starting to blend in normal daily life activities. It was somewhat of an unexplained phenomenon, but something of which I will make a full recovery and should never experience again, so say the doctors. And in a nutshell, now you know the reason for which there has been a massive lapse in my blog!

But this whole experience has left me with many new perspectives, and many of which will come out through this blog. Right now, though, I am picking up the loose ends of my life and will continue on from where I left off — which means, that there are a couple entries you will be seeing in the coming weeks that I had outlined before falling ill. So we will take a step back to a couple months ago, before we get caught up to speed, but I don’t think you will mind it one bit!

8 Responses to “A Bump in the Road”

1. delightfullysweet February 6, 2010 at 12:04 PM #

So glad to hear that you are better!

2. Tater Mama February 8, 2010 at 1:24 AM #

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment today. I am tickled to have the chance to browse through your blog, too!

I am glad you are feeling better after the ordeal you’ve been through. As we say down here, bless your heart!

3. mssinglemama February 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM #

For someone who has been through so much you look absolutely gorgeous! Wow. So glad you are back on your feet.

• robinesque February 17, 2010 at 2:06 PM #

aw, thanks Alaina! It’s been a true journey and test of moxie, even yet as I continue to make my way back to a full recovery. Your support is so much appreciated!

4. Astrid February 10, 2010 at 5:08 AM #

Good to here you are getting better! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving supporting comments.

5. Nosh April 4, 2010 at 9:46 PM #

You are indeed a trooper. I have so much more admiration for you and your ability to overcome adversity with courage and fortitude. I am glad you are a Correspondent at MediaGlobal. You will be able to get back on track with extra effort.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Last Call … « RobinEsque - April 27, 2010

[…] in full disclosure, I wore this outfit at the crossover between fall and winter — and since A Bump in the Road, the intent for this post got archived. Of course, it doesn’t diminish the importance of […]

2. Honoring Veterans on Veterans Day « Thrifty Vintage Chic - November 11, 2010

[…] put on hold for more than three months as I was hospitalized for a Traumatic Brain Injury, (Read: A Bump In the Road). Now, as a celebration of surviving and recovering, I decided to take on the most physically and […]