My Sexy ‘Domestic Goddess’ Vintage Apron Collection

14 Jul

As Vintage Apron Week continues, come on a mini-tour of my home as I sport my vintage apron collection while being the domestic goddess of my domain!

Brilliantly Smart Aprons{My Sexy ‘Domestic Goddess’ Vintage Apron Collection}

Photos by Adam Leach

Harnessing the power of a goddess can begin just with tying on an apron — or so I learned from a former beau who revealed to me the incredible sex-appeal of an apron!

I was a bit bewildered as he kept staring at me as I went about cooking dinner, and finally, I just stopped and asked what was wrong — thinking I looked weird with something splattered on me, or my hair frazzled.

And he just smiled crookedly, “It’s just you in that apron — it is so sexy”.

I blushed. It wasn’t my intent, I was just being practical.

So that day, I went from believing that aprons were useful kitchen accessories, as well as cute but a tad homely, and definitely old-fashioned items, to seeing that they were in fact, sexy, chic and absolutely Samson’s weakness.

So where could I get more of these aprons …

My vintage apron goes modern

My Vintage Apron CollectionI can tell you that finding a vintage apron in a thrift store, well, it’s holy grail moment!

Since I’ve been thrift shopping and collecting vintage since I was practically knee-high to a grasshopper, I feel pretty confident in calling myself an “expert” in this field.

I’ve only come across five aprons (discovered on three occasions), in all my years of vintage shopping, yard-saling and thrift storing. Those were happy dancing in the street days, but I’ve since learned that the best place to reliably find vintage aprons is online.

There the world opens up into dozens of styles — bustle aprons, sweetheart aprons, cocktail aprons, bib ruffle aprons, knitting aprons, cobbler aprons, tea aprons, feed-sack aprons, handkerchief aprons, clothes pin aprons … and, I am quite sure that I have yet to discover at least another dozen kinds of aprons.

My collection currently consists of a couple of variations of half aprons. So here they are …

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

My Vintage Apron Collection

Are you in love, yet, with my aprons?!?

Take heart!

Here are some vintage aprons just like mine!

(Click to make them your own!)

Picture 3

These two aprons are in the “gore” style, like the one I am shown wearing on the front stoop, above.

Picture 9

This lilac & mint green cotton print apron matches the fabric, colors and design of the apron I’m wearing on the balcony.

Picture 7

This handkerchief sheer apron matches the color and print of the apron I’m wearing as I hold a seedling potter.

Vintage Lilac Hankies Apron

But this handkerchief apron matches the exact style of apron I wore while holding the seedling potter.

Picture 4

This sheer polka-dotted apron is very similar to the sheer Swiss-dot apron I wore while serving peppermint water.

Picture 5

Do a double-take just to make sure this isn’t my apron! This very closely matches the red-cotton printed apron I wore while doing the dishes.

Picture 2

The small floral print and with the rick-rack lines, the apron’s design is a close match to the apron I was shown in while beginning to bake.

Picture 12

I would love to know which is your favorite & if I’ve inspired you to take up apron wearing!

PS ~ Have you subscribed to the brand new Thrifty Vintage Chic newsletter? You’re not gonna miss this weekly e-mail — especially this week, where you’ll get my favorite vintage aprons and themed items! Even Rainbow Bright will make a fun appearance: Click to sign up now!

About these ads

16 Responses to “My Sexy ‘Domestic Goddess’ Vintage Apron Collection”

1. Jen July 14, 2011 at 10:19 PM #

Love,Love all the aprons!!!! Makes me want to go buy a bunch of aprons and cook and clean the house and answer the door with a flour on my face. :)

• Thrifty Vintage Chic July 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM #

do it!! you could totally pull that look off!! there is a post coming up in a couple days about DIY-aprons, as well as “mommy-and-me” aprons … so, you might want to stay tuned!! :D

2. Dawn July 15, 2011 at 7:39 AM #

Navy Seal one week, bravely working for our troops; the next, a domestic goddess extolling the virtues of hearth and home with vintage aprons and a naughty twinkle in her eye! What is next for our *strong* and *beautiful* heroine of the ether?

We’ll stay tuned for each new adventure!

Those sheer aprons are madly and divinely sexy…doncha wonder what went on *after* the cookies were done baking? Hence the term “baby boom”, lol.

APRONS! They’re just not for cooking anymore!!! LOLOLOLOL!

Love that purple and plaid

• Thrifty Vintage Chic July 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM #

hehehe, Dawn … then you are going to love the blog post that is coming out today … all about pin-ups in aprons! And thank you for depicting me as a heroine! that is rather divine!

3. Kat July 15, 2011 at 7:56 AM #

Tough to decide which apron is the best since all have their own personality as to what you can wear them. I like the sheer polka dot one. Though, my accident prone self it may not be the best own for me :)

• Thrifty Vintage Chic July 15, 2011 at 10:14 AM #

I know! That’s the fun of aprons and why women had so many — because of matching the lines and colors of her wardrobe! As for the sheer polka dot apron, that one would have been used for not really hardcore baking or cooking … rather for being the hostess, hence the name of this style being “cocktail apron”.

4. hailey shaw July 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM #

So cute!
    Please dress me!

5. keripeardon April 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM #

Someone gave me some old fabric–including a double-knit polyester that was white with hot pink polka dots. I was attracted to the pattern, even as I was repulsed by the fabric. I ended up making it into a 50’s style bib apron, complete with ruffles up the front and over the shoulders. It looks so cute, and the fact that it’s icky material doesn’t matter because it’s not against my skin.

I need to get in the habit of putting it on when I want to do housework; I do seem to get more done when I’m wearing it. It both makes me feel pretty and feminine, and it serves as a uniform, telling me, subconsciously, that it’s time to work.

P.S. If that blue and white polka dot dress of yours would fit me, I’d so steal it!

• Thrifty Vintage Chic April 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM #

Keri! That is so great — how you saw potential even in something that first gave you a “gag-reflex”. To me, that is where real beauty — the hidden gems — can appear!!

AND, that is SO fantastic — you had me Laughing Out Loud about your subconscious getting to work with the donning of an apron! LOVE IT!
      :D I love that dress, too! It’s a vintage dress, an 1980s-does-the-1940s! I get a lot of compliments on it when I wear it and most think it’s an original! Just a lucky thrift store find! :D

6. marilyn September 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM #

nice to see so many styles of well preserved and lovely aprons–and on a model! thank you. do you have any photos of them as a collection? i would like to post it on my collections board on pinterest. thank you

7. Michael JOY February 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM #

Good Morning.
    Your aprons are just beautiful, Takes me back to my childhood, when no woman would be seen without wearing an apron. Taking pride in their house. I love seeing aprons being worn, sadly a dying image.
    Mike JOY

• Thrifty Vintage Chic April 2, 2014 at 5:09 AM #

:) you’re welcome, Mike! There is a certain joy to wearing an apron, especially since it is a choice to be indulgent in being completely domestic for the fun of it — not because it’s a requirement or expectation! Definitely makes housework more fun, and a little more sexy!

• Michael JOY April 28, 2014 at 11:52 PM #

what can I do to convince my wife? please help

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pin-Up Girls in Aprons: Style that’s Sassy & Sexy « Thrifty Vintage Chic - July 15, 2011

[...] to rest my previously held silly notion that aprons aren’t sexy apparel, pin-ups in aprons are the quintessential image of classy [...]

2. HP, and I don’t mean Hewlett… | Elen Grey's Blog - March 9, 2012

[...] Apron Lovers ~ From Thrifty Vintage Chic: My Sexy ‘Domestic Goddess’ Vintage Apron Collection. Love the sheer handkerchief [...]